Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lauren's Legacy




The phone rang. I’d been climbing a mountain and pulled my
cell phone from my backpack, surprised it worked up there.
It was Lauren Kelly, my interview for this month’s “Hero.”
We set up a time for the interview later that evening. I called
out to my hiking friend Lisa. She yelled back “I’m over here!”
dangling her feet off a sheer cliff like you see in those pictures
of the Grand Canyon. I knew I’d never climb that. I walked a
little closer. Then a little more. Before I knew it, I’d committed
myself. Now I was perched on a precariously steep cliff holding
on for dear life – mine! Every footstep needed 100% concentration
to make sure each rock would hold. There was no margin of error
along that unsurvivable drop-off. The focus required was
tremendous. I used every bit of positive thinking I had. I had to
refuse fear’s seductive invitation. Fear could’ve killed me. It was
one of the hardest things I’ve done. Nothing to hang onto but a prayer.

Describing that story to Lauren, I learned who Lauren Kelly was.
She said, “I know exactly the situation you were in.” Lauren had
climbed Mt. Whitney. Twice. My respect for her grew immensely.
It was one of a series of “challenges’ Lauren gave herself for her
50th birthday. Lauren set off with eight friends. “I made the
commitment. We climbed one June day. The mountain was still
snow-covered which created a lot more work. We hadn’t taken
enough food or water. The climb down was even more dangerous
because we lacked provisions. There were two ways down, both
extremely dangerous but it was an awesome experience.”

Challenges aren’t new to Lauren. She gave herself another
birthday challenge - run a marathon. “I learned I can do anything
I set my mind to. It was 9 months of training. Six people at work
said, “Let’s do a marathon.” They all backed out. I made the
commitment. I did it.”

“One training day in March, the weather was very stormy. I was
soaked to the bone. It was a very cold 17 mile run that day.” But
it conditioned Lauren for the real marathon. “A lot of people fell
out because of heat. I ran with a team. I was older than any of them
but I finished. I was ready. I remember coming across the finish line,
filled with emotion.”

Lauren’s current challenges are her call to leadership.
She is
President of the Ocean Festival, an International Director for the
Toastmasters Organization, and she has a regular job as a project manager!

The popular San Clemente Ocean Festival takes a full year of
planning and commitment by 18 dedicated executive board members.
A friend invited Lauren to be on the Ocean Festival board. She
knew of Lauren’s passion for volunteering. “That was ten years ago.
They really needed structure,” Lauren said. “They didn’t have a budget.
How do you operate? How do you know if you had a successful event?
We’ve come a long way since then. It’s an important event that takes
constant teamwork throughout the year because different parts have
to come together at different times.”

“We added a surfing component three years ago and hired a paid
consultant. For 2 years in a row we weren’t making money. The
board hadn’t come up with a plan. We bought the consultant in to
discuss it. He walked in the door with the whole new plan.
Now it’s wildly successful. It was magical.”

To serve as International Director of Toastmasters
is a great honor and a great responsibility
.
You don’t get there without years of dedicated service.
Lauren’s been in the San Clemente club for 20 years.
She’s been club president several times and held offices
the other years. Hundreds of people have come through the club,
increasing their speaking abilities and confidence. The club had a
few famous members walk through its doors. “When they were
teenagers, Kyle and Keith Healy wrote a book,” Lauren said. “They
knew they’d need to promote it and came to our club to improve
their speaking skills. They’ve had numerous TV and radio appearances
since.” Lauren’s reward is seeing people have fun.
She loves seeing the growth in people.

Lauren’s role as International Director is very time-consuming.
Toastmasters is currently restructuring the organization – a huge task.
Lauren‘s influence will affect the organization for years to come.
“It’s near and dear to my heart,” Her most memorable speech was
the one she prepared as International Director called, “Set an Example.”
Lauren says, “ How do we learn? By what we see around us. I’m
talking to Toastmasters but it applies to everyone.

"If we want to build leaders,
we have to be the leader we’re looking for.”

Her focus now is her children and grandchildren and caring for the
future, her top priority. Lauren tells parents, “Have a very deep love
for your kids and your grandkids. Be really present. I have a huge
commitment to my grandchildren to see that they are all they can be
in their lives. I was a different person raising my children. Today I’m
a much fuller person. My big goal other than my grandchildren is
I want to be more present.”

Last month I wrote on teammates. Lauren is both a great cheerleader
and a great leader, which is unique in the same person. The greatest
of leaders builds other leaders. Lauren’s legacy will be carried inside
people, the gift of a true leader, making a huge difference in many
people’s lives.

Always Live Like the Hero You Are!


Terri Marie
Award-winning author of “Be the Hero of Your Own Game”
www.spiritualarena.com

Lauren’s Lessons

* Believe in Yourself
Lauren learned this from her mentors. “I’ve had a hard time
getting there - believing I have all I need to live my life the
way I need to.” Yet Lauren believed she could do every
one of those challenges and she did.

* Set Good Examples
“It’s so important for us to set an example. People are watching you.
Always be aware of what you are doing, especially as leaders.
My grandchildren watch me like a hawk. I want them to have
the best life possible so I set the best example I can.
My grandchildren are so precious to me.”

* Whitney's Lesson
Lauren’s best advice? “Always travel with friends and take enough
provisions. My first climb was life changing.”
Her McKinley climb took 14 hours.

* Making Teams Work
When a team has a challenge, Lauren gets on phone. She asks
a wonderful question. “What do you see that’s different than what I see?”
Each team member has different skills and expectations of other
team members. Lauren works to help ensure expectations
between team members are realistic.

* Have Patience and Compassion for Where People Are
People are at different stages in life. Lauren says, “It’s so easy to forget
they haven’t walked the same path I have. There has to be room for that.
They don’t know all there is to know.” Cut people some slack as they
grow into their better selves.

* Give Yourself Birthday Challenges Each Year
Instead of just celebrating your birthday for one day – give yourself
a huge goal. One so big that to accomplish it will make you a better
person. I can guarantee that if you’ve never climbed a big mountain
and you do, you will change! Each year we should get better.
People like Lauren show us how.

* Admire Wisdom Immensely
Lauren admires “Those who can look at a situation, evaluate it
and do quick problem solving.” What you admire, you build in yourself.

* Be Caring
Lauren says, “I have a deep sense of respect for other people
who act caring and have a desire to help others.”

* Keep Your Commitments
“I just don’t back out,” says Lauren. It drives her to do
things that require huge commitments, but have huge payoffs.
Make a decision and never back away from it.

* Ask Questions
“I am one that asks a lot of questions if something doesn’t feel right.
If I don’t know how I can sell that to Toastmasters, I speak up.
I’m a thorn but we need to make it right.”

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home